Thursday, November 26, 2009

PNG again... and an Iron Stomach Chef Challenge

I am starting to feel a bit like Rumginae is my second home, but I have realised (again!) that I shouldn't try to second-guess what returning here will be like.
I had forgotten it was so HOT! In spite of 6 years medical training, I had no personal experience of the number of sweat glands in the human body. I can now confidently say, as we used to as kids, that it is infinity plus one.

So, for the culinary-minded, I have in my house the following ingredients: tinned tuna, rice, broccoli, spring onions, zucchini, a small amount of cheese, tomato, peanut butter, milk (UHT) and some frozen lamb chops. Any ideas?

4 comments:

James said...

Hey shar, well in regards to menu ideas I am only going to suggest the bleedingly obvious. I also assume you have access to spices.
Firstly, last time I was in png tuna was definitely NOT tuna, so if it's local I'm suspicious.
If you have stock of any kind-- use it to cook the rice in instead of plain water. Finely dice the spring onions- the whole lot- chuck the green leaf bits in a pan for a few minutes then add it to your rice while your rice is cooking ( hopefully in stock).
Fry the remaining spring onion (the white bits) if you've got it add cumin or coriander. Then add diced tomatoes- fry for a few mintues- add chilli here, the add cubes and boned lamb- fry for few mintues- add curry powder or what spice u might have. Then add water- and broccoli, cook until lamb is tender then reduce until liquid is thick enough to resemble sauce. Pour on top of rice and there you go- serve fresh Zuccini or cucumber(can't remember what u have) to accompany. It all depends on your spices- just make sure what you have is balanced.
Hope that helps.
James

Sarah B said...

Hope you are surviving in the heat Shar and not missing us too much! James's recipe sounds great, let us know how it turns out..

Sharmini said...

Of all the suggestions so far (had a couple by email), I think James wins.
Technically, though, I don't have any spices but I can probably borrow from the neighbours. Will let you know how it goes!

Sharmini said...

just tried the recipe on some dinner guests - it was a hit!!